Friday, December 31, 2010

Bring on the new year

As I write this I am listening to Glee's Madonna Album. Haha, thought I might add.

Anyhoo. Instead of my typical New Years resolution that consists of losing more weight or swearing less, I've decided that this year I'm going to write something everyday of the year. Because my pink Macbook is my best friend, I really don't think it's going to be a problem.

Every New Years I also tend to reflect on the past year. 2010 was a big year for me. Between graduating, going to college, and breaking away from Tulsa, so much has happened. And I really can't say I regret anything. Even if my life has changed, I am so much happier as an independent person. You only live once, you might as well live. Though I am still devoted to what I aim to accomplish, I realize there is so much more than tests, school, and winning.

If you only knew what the future holds,
after a hurricane comes a rainbow.

Ignite the light, and let it shine,
just OWN the night
like the fourth of July

I have also been haunted with thoughts regarding my college decision. Because I was offered two million dollars in scholarship offers, graduated valedictorian of my class, and could have probably gone to almost any school I wanted to, deciding to OU was a critical decision in my life. Although I have had my doubts, I can't say that I regret my decision. I have met amazing people and have been confronted by incredible opportunity. How many college freshmen can say that they learned how a bill becomes law from a former senator? I also want to add that David Boren is a hero. No words can describe how he has advanced the quality of available public higher education in Oklahoma, and how he has improved the image of our Oklahoma within the United States.

But now that I've gone off to college and have had a taste of real life, I feel like I don't belong in my house. Living in a house in parents who keep me on a tight leash and schedule has become increasingly difficult. I've become too accustomed to choosing what to eat, when to eat, when to sleep, where to sleep, where to go, what time to go to bed, etc, without the consultation of someone else. I've become too progressive, too open minded, for my house. I've become fearless. All the blank threats of "or else" have become trite and meaningless to me. So what if I don't make my bed? I'm going to sleep in it again 12 hours later. I mean, are you really gonna take away my car for that? Yeah, right.
Granted, I respect my parents. But we have nothing in common and for such reason I have detached myself from them.
I have come to believe that I have hit my rebellion stage 4 years late. I am 18 and 5 months and have begun to act like a 14-year-old, but the only thing I can say is that it's about time.

Hears the day you hoped would never come
don't feed me violins
just run with me through rows of speeding cars

I won't really bother with an "about me" section. If you don't know me and you're reading this, you are a creeper. That is all. And if you don't know much about me I'm sure there's much to deduce from my writings.

I'm going to conclude by saying that 2011 has a lot to live up to. 2010 was absolutely epic for me and the world is supposedly going to end in 2012. So let's make this one a good one.

Cheers and to all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Amor,

Brumbi <3

No comments:

Post a Comment