"The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
-Almost Famous
I love this quote. It truly defines so much of my life.
It's true that I've never been cool. It's also true that I always have something to say. I don't much think it healthy to keep secrets.
It's also true that I feel like a naked person. A lot. I know a lot of people can see into my thoughts, and gain a deeper understanding of me through my writings.
However, it is not so frightening.
Knowing that someone else is looking at you naked is quite possibly the most unnerving feeling in the world.
But to me, thoughts are not meant to be secrets.
Sure, I will not tell the woman in front of me at Walmart that I can see her cellulite through her tights, nor will I disclose details of what by all means should remain personal. But to me, the key to both virtue and freedom is honesty.
When I was younger, the thought of college centered around the concept of freedom: no rules, no boundaries, no parents.
But now that I'm here, living somewhat independently, I realize that freedom is not about the capability to do whatever one wants.
Freedom means not being afraid to exercise your own will. Freedom to be whatever you want to be, freedom to take risks, freedom to explore, and to discover.
God, I sound like Morgan Freeman. God.
*"Eat the brain, dammit."*
I love college. And video games. And hallmates.
I don't really have anything else to say, I'm mildly stressed trying to prepare for school tomorrow.
By-eee
No comments:
Post a Comment