Monday, January 24, 2011

That Amor-eh?

Ok. So this semester, like the last, my 10:30 MWF Spanish Composition class is my favorite.

My professor is a Chinese woman from Bolivia, and has the personality of a stereotypical Asian girl; let's just say that she speaks very loudly and quickly. In Spanish. Irony.

Well today, we had to write our first composition. We had just read a story about an ugly young girl, Águeda, who therefore had no future due to her timidness and inability to find a mate. How happy. Anyways, our first composition was supposed to be about our first love, which annoyed me for many reasons.

I really don't think I've ever been in love. Yes, I'd say I've been infatuated and even intoxicated, but I do not believe that I have engaged in love in a romantic way with another.

I think it's really unfortunate that the English language has only one word for "love." The Greek language, on the other hand, has 6. Love between lovers, siblings, parent and child, friends, God, Jesus... If you think about it, connotation can make things really weird. The South Park Christian rock episode comes to mind when Carpman replaces words like "baby" with "Jesus."

I mean, everyone has had that awkward moment when someone has mentioned a name:

Oh, JESSICA?!? I LOOOOVE JESSSSSICA!

when the person you're talking to suddenly squints or gives you this look and you feel like you must explain yourself.

Or then, there's "I love girl scouts."

Yeah...

I don't think 18-year-olds are incapable of feeling that sort of love, but I think that too many don't understand what it is.

I think "I love you" is the most misused phrase in the English language.

Love develops over time.
To me, first sight can never be enough.
For me, it would have to take many days, many weeks, and maybe even months.

Lust and love can never be the same thing.
Though I admit it can be hard to separate them:
Love is about trust, loyalty, and dedication.
...although it can be argued that sex is also about trust, loyalty, and dedication.
But I don't think I've ever fallen in love. I've never felt that level of trust, loyalty, or dedication for or from a man.

Love is something that defies all opposition.
True love lasts through sickness, poverty, catastrophe, and death.
Love happens when nothing else matters.

Love is when nothing else matters.

I'm such a sap. I dream about platonic love all the time.

There is also a difference between knocking me off my feet and knocking me off my [fill in the blank with something I can't say on the internet].
This will not be a "How to get into Tayler's pants" tutorial.
Only one person has ever gotten close. And he let me go.

There are certain qualities in men that are irresistibly attractive to me.
But I'm not giving it away. I don't like posers.
They have to be born with it.
To me, it's all in the swagger.
And the stature.
I like men with extraordinary confidence.
And I cannot be attracted to anything that isn't ...thicker than me.
It's gross. There's nothing worse to me than scrawny.
My sister relates. We always go after taller, huskier boys.
She's 12-years-old so it has to be some sort of evolutionary psychological thing.

I think that everyone more or less finds love eventually. My parents started dating when they were 15, but I don't think that's for me. I don't think I was emotionally mature enough at 15 to pick the person whom I want to spend the rest of my life yet. I'm really not sure if I'm mature enough now to pick the man I want to be my lover, husband, and the (eventual) father of my children. I go with the flow. I check out whatever comes my way, and let him show me what he's made of. That might be why I'm usually single. But I nevertheless look forward to the day when my knight in shining armor sings "Just the Way you are" to me in perfect Spanish. ;)

Well, I hope you like syrup on your pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment